Saturday, July 24, 2010

Recovering a Lampshade...it's as Easy as Typing a Blog!

Back in October, Stephen and I purchased a generic lamp set from Target because we had no light sources for our family room.  You know what I'm talking about, the very simple and basic box of 4 lamps in it that come with the plain, white lampshades.  Ever since I saw this I wanted to add just a simple finish to my lampshades.
So when Amy and I decided to do our craft days, this was one of the first projects that I wanted to do.  I actually struggled with finding a simple fabric that I wanted to use, and even bought one that I later changed my mind on.  Good thing that Amy had some leftover burlap-ish material leftover from some pillows that she made as I was able to use that to bring some pizazz to my lampshades:
They went from this:
to this:


And from this:

To this:

The best thing was that it was super cheap and easy to do!  You can do this!  Just go here and follow the step-by-step pictures and tutorials that Suzanne at Just Another Hang Up gives you - it's a little time consuming but so worth it.

p.s. have you checked out your new pottery barn catalog???

                                              $49-$69                                          $39-$59

You can do this yourself for WAY cheaper...I think mine cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $7???? (mind you, I already had the shade).
I hope you're having a fantastic weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at the difference covering a lampshade makes! It looks great, hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job; love the warmer look of the fabric. Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent off my August guest post to Remodelaholic and it's a lamp redo with a recovered shade! Great minds thing alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari!!!

    KOO KOO!!! The lamp shade looks great but beware of light bulbs popping out of their sockets! That is a crazy time!

    I Miss you lots!!!! Come to KY soon!!!! Anne and I are already trying to figure out a time to come see you and Stephen in Chicago!

    I hope you are doing well! If you are bored this week you should give me a call. I'm on vacation in Hilton Head with Anne and my family and got a lot of time to talk while I'm at the beach!

    Much Love,

    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try this! I have an old dented lampshade that I need to spruce up for my craft room. This would be the perfect way to make it pretty. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. been hunting all over for a easy tutorial. thank you for this!

    cute blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!