Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proverbs 31


*created using wordle.net


The first time I read Proverbs 31:10-31, I knew that that's exactly the kind of wife, the kind of woman that I wanted to strive to be....

The Bible tells us that a wife of noble character is worth far more than rubies (31:10)...funny, the world tells us that external beauty is what matters, not character.

In verse 31:11 Solomon tells us that that this wife of noble character will have a husband with full confidence in her.  How many reality television shows portray this picture?

31:12 tells about this wife bringing her husband good, not harm, all the days of her life.  Talk about a tough job - it's hard to love someone all the time!  However, with God, it is not impossible!

In verse 31:17 we see that she sets about her work vigorously.  I searched the rest of the chapter to see if she was complaining while working - I found nothing.  I bet it's safe to say that she wasn't.  I'm not scoring high in that category!

She opens her arms to the poor and extends help to the needy (31:20) - such a different picture than just focusing her time and energy on herself.

She is clothed with strength and dignity and can laugh at the days to come (31:25); wowzers.  Talk about impossible unless you have faith in the truth and promises that our God is in control and that He loves you.

This faithful wife speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue (31:26).  This is something that cannot happen unless she is spending time with the Lord daily.  Am I spending time with the Lord daily?  Nothing is more important than that...NOTHING.

And perhaps my most favorite part of this entire chapter:
"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised," (31:30).  I pray that I come close to this someday, that I know the Lord so deeply and so intently that I'm even more like Him and more afraid of His Almighty powers all at the same time.  This chapter serves as a huge push for me - a push to know God on a deeper, more intimate level for my myself, but most importantly, for my family.

What about you - what's your favorite book/chapter/verse of the Bible?






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!