Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Copycat: Quartrefoil Tray

A couple of months ago, Stephen and I were walking back to our apartment when we stumbled upon this perfectly good wooden tray that someone had tossed out with their trash (don't worry - it wasn't IN their trash can, just hanging out next to it).  Stephen looked at me with a silly little grin, knowing exactly what was going through my mind.  That's right - I wanted it.  Who wouldn't?  It was in good shape and was FREE - score and SCORE!  We picked it up, carried it home and tucked it away in a closet until inspiration came to do something with it.

Fast forward.

Last week I thought about the tray and I remembered that we were heading to Kentucky for the weekend.  Because Chicago doesn't sell spray paint, I knew I was going to have to snag some outside of the city.  I picked up the spray paint and returned to Chicago knowing that I was going to tackle that tray once and for all....

...and then I stumbled upon this Quatrefoil Trey at Red Heads Craft More Fun.  As soon as I saw Courtney's tray, I KNEW I wanted to be a copycat.  That's one of my most favorite things about reading blogs!  I'm constantly being inspired by all the creativity surrounding me.  Thanks for the inspiration, Courtney!

What I used:
*A wooden tray
*Americana Acrylic Craft Paint in "Butter"
*Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint in "Ivy Leaf"
*spray paint sprayer nozzler (yes, that is the technical name of it :-P)
*sandpaper
*the quatrefoil stencil
*pencil
*pair of scissors.

What I did:
*I gave my wooden tray a good rub down with sandpaper - keep with me people, it's not good for your minds to wander there!
*I then went to town on it with my spray paint.  That sucker ended up soaking up the entire can of spray paint - geeze-oh-pete!


*After about 100 layers of spray paint (okay, not really, more like 5-6) I went into the apartment and printed off the quatrefoil stencil and got to work cutting it out.
*Once I had cut it out, and the spray paint had time to dry, I laid the stencil down on my tray and began tracing the design on there.  I continued to trace the design, lining it up with what I had already traced, until the entire tray was covered.
*I took my Americana Butter and patiently painted and filled in the quatrefoil design on my tray.  I let that dry and then came back to it to add a second coat.
*Once all paint had dried, I came back to the tray and sanded the pants off it to give it a good, aged look.







Let me tell you - I LOVE IT!  I didn't realize how much I was going to like it until I finished and saw it hanging out on my coffee table.  I love the color that it brings up onto the table and I absolutely LOVE the contrast between the green and the butter (thanks to my friend Jenn who pointed me in that direction!)!  Better yet, I really love the price tag of this project!  In all, I spent about $5.  The tray was free (sorry, I'm not trying to rub it in...), the spray paint was like $3.87 and the Americana paint was like $1.20.


All thanks to Courtney, the redhead who has more fun crafting than myself ;) - without her post, my tray would've just been green...I'm soooo glad I saw her tray first!



I'm linking up to these parties:
(T) Today's Creative Blog; Sugar Bee Crafts; New Nostalgia; Coastal Charm; Hope Studios; (W) Trendy Treehouse; Blue Cricket Design; Domestically Speaking; The Thrifty Home; Someday Crafts; Women Who Do It All; Sew Woodsy; Night Owl Crafting; (Th) Gluesticks; Somewhat Simple; The Shabby Chic Cottage; House of Hepworths; Tales from Bloggeritaville; Fireflies and Jellybeans; It's Sew Stinkin Cute; Delightful Order; bouffe e bambini; Organize and Decorate Everything; (F)Chic on a Shoestring Decorating; It's a Hodgepodge Life; It's FUN to Craft!; Fingerprints on the Fridge; The Shabby Nest; Remodelaholic; Simply Designing; Home is Where My Story Begins; (S)Tatertots and Jello; The Creative Crate; A Vision to Remember; Young and Crafty; Along for the Ride; Funky Junk Interiors; Lolly Jane Boutique; (Sun)I Heart Naptime; Under the Table and Dreaming

29 comments:

  1. it's SO pretty i want one just like it!! i have some trays at home...maybe i should....uhhh...

    send them to chicago for a makeover (he he he)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks fantastic! i love the funky green, and it totally works with that rug and dark tones in your wood. looks soo good! and wait, they don't sell spraypaint in chicago? say whaaaat?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out great! I love the green, it's a great pop of color to your coffeetable. Thanks for the tips and tutorial. I'm headed to the store for "Ivy Leaf" paint. :)
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out awesome. I love the ivy leaf color and tried to use it myself recently on a project. Unfortunately, it wasn't the right color for that project. Maybe I should look for a tray like this one...hmmm. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tray! Visiting from Domestically speaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! What a great job!I'd love if you linked up at Sew Woodsy today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love blogging for the same reason, you find so many amazing inspiration ideas to copy & use in your own home. :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore this! My living room is painted a green similar to your tray....I might have to use your idea!!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out really great. I might have to copy this one as well. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an excellent find! And a lovely makeover, the quarterfoil is beautiful and I LOVE the bright green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome punch of color. Looks fabulous. Great job!!! Don't you just love free stuff??

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tray looks awesome! I also wonder why Chicago doesn't sell spray paint. And one more question, where did you get the rug? I love the design and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tray. I'm hosting the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party through friday and would love for you to join the party if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I'm a pushover for anything quatrefoil - the color is a great punch of color in your room too. Love it (and the price)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute. I have a tray just waiting to be transformed. I may just have to steal this idea too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I love redoing trays! Thanks for the link to quarterfoil. I just bought a cheap area rug I plan on using the stencil on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your blog!! I am definitely going to be your new follower :) I would love it if you followed me to @ for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com that would be great :) I am just starting out, but I am excited to share new recipes, crafts, and makeup.. And Giving away giveaways on mineral make-up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking my Flaunt it Friday party! Love your tray! I'm featuring it on my new blog The Besties. Please stop by and grab an "I was featured" button if you'd like. :)

    http://thebesties1.blogspot.com/2011/06/featuring-adventures-of-one-crazy-lady.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! Love the look! Ummm, may need to see what I can do with a few items that need updating!
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE the color! I think I'm going to try this with some trays we still haven't used that we got for our wedding 7 years ago! =) I'm also your newest follower and would love for you to visit my blog and follow back! =)

    www.sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The tray is gorgeous. Thanks for linking to the party. I hope to see you again this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So love the free price tag! I love dumpster diving! It turne out fabulous, love that green color and your rug is amazing!

    New follower from Funky Junk Interiors! I linked up also!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so great! I've got to try this myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE it Kari! I bought a tray a few months ago on clearance @ Marshall's and I have been wanting to do something similar. I love the stencil you used. My sister always is complaining about Chicago not selling spray paint - it's crazy!

    Alissa
    www.33shadesofgreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

    Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kari - love the color and pattern of your tray - Looks fabulous! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party. I am a little behind commenting - but I have featured this Sunday. Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  27. I finished my tray and included a link over. Thanks for the inspiration.

    http://dandelionsanddustbunnies.blogspot.com/2011/06/quatrefoil-tray.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!