Wednesday, October 27, 2010

DIY Wedding Fun - Part 6

Salt Covenant

Instead of lighting unity candles, Stephen and I did a salt covenant in our wedding.  Our friends, Matt and Mandy had done one in their wedding in 2002 and I loved it when I first saw it.  Instead of our mom's coming in and lighting a candle, they walked in carrying salt from their kitchens.  They set them next to the main salt container and then Stephen and I poured them into the container during the ceremony.  There are different ideas behind it: the Biblical idea that we're called to be the salt of the earth was a main idea that we wanted to encompass in our wedding and in our marriage.  Another idea was the symbol of our families joining together into a new family.  While all the grains were joining together, we would never be able to pull out "his grains" and mine - we were joined for forever.  The coolest thing about this is that we have this main salt container and it's sitting on our mantel.  We will have this container of salt from our wedding day forever to remind us of the covenant we made with each other before God for the rest of our lives.  While I didn't etch this container, I realize now that I could've easily done so.  This is a cheater "DIY Wedding Fun" post because I didn't actually make this container, but if you were interested in making one yourself, it could easily be done.  If you'd like to see a tutorial on how to etch a glass surface, just click here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness - I'm getting married in April, and we've been wrestling with whether we want to do a unity candle or not. This idea is PERFECT - I love the idea that the salt comes from the two homes!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!