Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bon Appetit: Chocolate Chip-Me

A couple of weeks ago, I found some chocolate chips under the microwave that I had bought awhile back. I was preparing for the arrival of my friends Ryan and Carly so I decided to use up those chips and make some yummy chocolate chip cookies.  At the time, I was on the phone with my bestest friend, Doni, who just so happens to bake as a hobby.  We were both talking about how much of a bummer it is that homemade chocolate chip cookies never taste or look as good as the break and bake cookies.  She told me to look up the Mrs. Field's recipe and maybe that would help.  I did that, and I was so excited to see some things on the ingredients list that I had never used before (a 1/2 cup of oat meal finely chopped up into a grain-ish substance).  I just knew that this recipe with different ingredients would make some killer cookies.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  While the recipe was good, it still wasn't what I was looking for.  Although the crowd (Ryan, Carly and Stephen) enjoyed my efforts, I was somewhat baffled (not too baffled - this is just a cookie recipe we're talking about here).  How do I get the ooey-gooey perfection that is the break and bake?  How do they do it?!
I was sharing my frustration with Ryan and Carly while (appropriately) stuffing my face with the cookies.  And that's when Carly mentioned a to-die-for recipe involving (prepare yourself for a little bit of a cringe) butter AND shortening as well as vanilla pudding.  As she continued talking, I just knew I needed to get my grubby little paws on it.  That's where my good friend, Google stepped in.  I'm a big googler - I google everything.  As I clicked upon the link that held the "secret" to the most amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe, a light from heaven shone down and a choir of archangels sang in the background - ahem!  Just cookies.  But, needless to say that after making this recipe once, it's a recipe that I plan on using over and over and over and over and over....
and over again :)  Without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Chocolate {I'll Be Your Chip} Cookie.  (yes, yes, I made that name up because evidently I have nothing better to do)


Ingredients:
*2 1/4 cups flour
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*3/4 cup packed brown sugar
*1/2 cup butter, softened
*1/2 cup shortening
*1/4 cup sugar
*1 (4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1/8 teaspoon almond extract {I didn't have it and Aldi didn't sell it so I didn't use it}
*2 eggs, beaten
*2 cups chocolate chips


Directions:
*Preheat oven 350 degrees.
*Combine flour and baking soda.
*In a large bowl beat brown sugar, sugar, butter, shortening, pudding mix, vanilla, and almond extract.
*Mix until well blended.
*Add eggs and mix well.
*Beat in the flour mixture.
*Stir in chocolate chips.
*Drop by rounded teaspoonful and bake 10-12 minutes.
*Be prepared to give out the recipe


Somehow, in all of my excitement, I forgot to take a picture of the final product. Here is a picture from the website where I found the recipe - my cookies looked just as good as these:

So pretty, so perfect, so gooood!

Seriously - go get baking right now!

This recipe and the picture were borrowed from Food.com


2 comments:

  1. Mike has been begging me to get this recipe from you. He is now a happy man. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Kari! I would have given u my recipe! U just have to call them Carly Brehm cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!