Thursday, February 10, 2011

If the Good Lord's Willing and the Creeks Don't Rise

That was one of the many memorable sayings that used to come out of my Grandma's mouth.  Another one that comes to mind when I think of her is, "I'll swannee..." (who knows if I've spelled that right)!  And one of the last sayings that I'll never forget her repeating was, "Amen, Brother Ben!" - I have no clue where she got that one!
Stephen and I headed to Louisville on Monday when we heard of my Grandma's passing.  It was one of those things that we had anticipated and knew could happen at any point, but still one that I don't think we could ever be ready for.  I know my feelings of sadness are ones that are normal and healthy, but are also selfish.  You see, my Grandma was 93 years old and her body had just worn out.  For her, death brought life and I know that she is in a MUCH better place, living it up with our Heavenly Father.  I just wish that I could still see her or talk with her on this side of Heaven.  In a totally healthy and non-morbid way, I look forward to the day where I get to join her and see her again.  Until then, I'll celebrate the life she had and the woman she was and try not to let my sadness get in the way.


Who wouldn't love a Grandma that would go along with the "Ugly Face" picture?

Stephen and I giving Grandma some loving :)

My sweet, sweet Grandma,
Thank you for being such a great Grandma; you were the perfect balance of love and discipline.
I hope to serve God and my family the way you did, day-in and day-out without a complaint leaving your lips.
I love you a ton and look forward to seeing you again someday...
....that is, if the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise!
Love,
Kari

2 comments:

  1. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family;. Even when someone you love has had a long, wonderful life, I'm not sure you can ever really prepare for it. How sad you are is a reminder of how much you love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you today, sweet Kari. I know that the sadness of the loss of a grandparent can be overwhelming. But how wonderful it is to rejoice that your grandma is now in the presence of the Father.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts - leave me some loving!